Problem adding printer under linux

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Nov 21 10:46:34 PST 2005

Hello

I'm trying to implement a printserver using CUPS (version  1.1.23-10), with the print accounting being made by PyKota. The server is running Debian (Sarge).

The authentication is being made via PAM to an OpenLDAP server. I need CUPS to be secure so I put it running with SSLPort 631 (I'm using port 443 to run a web front-end for PyKota).

I've already managed to put the printserver and the accounting system working under windows, adding a network printer with an URI like

https://PRINTER_ADDRESS:631/printers/PRINTER_NAME

However, I couldn't add a printer to a Linux client yet. I tried to add the URI above to the Print Menu (gnome_cups_manager version 0.25-2.1) but it appears as

ipp://https://PRINTER_ADDRESS:631/printers/PRINTERNAME

And I can't change it. As a result, I can't print under Linux.

Is there anything wrong or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Hugo.