printing from iMac fails

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Nov 25 06:55:15 PST 2005

Christoph Litauer wrote:

> Dear cups-admins,
>
> one of our users has a brandnew iMAC. If he starts a print job to our
> cups server, nothing is printed.
>
> I analysed the problem and found, that the final postscript code
> contains variable definitions like:
>
> -------------
> %%BeginSetup
> /CUPS_ENV_OPT
> <<      % Environment variables and command line options
>   /CHARSET (utf-8)
>   /CONTENT_TYPE (application/pdf)
>   /DEVICE_URI (file:/var/tmp/test.out)
>   /LANG (de)
>   /PRINTER (test)
>   /SOFTWARE (CUPS/1.1)
>   /USER (root)
>   /CURRENT_DATE (Friday, 25. November 2005 09:41)
>   /NOWDATE (2005-11-25 329)
>   /NOWTIME (09:41:27)
>   /HPwmSwitch (Off)
>   /HPwmBrightness (Medium)
>   /HPwmTextAngle (Deg45)
> /com.apple.print.subTicket.page_format_ticket..d.com.apple.print.ticket.version
> (10.4.0)
> /com.apple.print.subTicket.page_format_ticket..d.com.apple.print.subTicket.paper_info_ticket..d.com.apple.print.ticket.version
> (10.4.0)
> /com.apple.print.subTicket.page_format_ticket..d.com.apple.print.subTicket.paper_info_ticket..d.com.apple.print.PageFormat.PMAdjustedPaperRect..a.0..n.
> (-18.008336946550838)
> /com.apple.print.subTicket.page_format_ticket..d.com.apple.print.subTicket.paper_info_ticket..d.com.apple.print.PageFormat.PMAdjustedPaperRect..a.1..n.
> (-18.008336946550838)
> /com.apple.print.subTicket.page_format_ticket..d.com.apple.print.subTicket.paper_info_ticket..d.com.apple.print.PageFormat.PMAdjustedPaperRect..a.2..n.
> (824.38164688654945)
> /com.apple.print.subTicket.page_format_ticket..d.com.apple.print.subTicket.paper_info_ticket..d.com.apple.print.PageFormat.PMAdjustedPaperRect..a.3..n.
> (577.26724545332411)
> ---------------
>
> As you can see, the environment definitions when sending the job to the
> cups server contains very long variable names. The printer (HP Laserjet
> 4050) refuses to print that code complaining about a "limitcheck".
>
> As a solution I inserted a filter, that deletes lines starting with
> /com.apple.print, but this is an ugly workaround. Any other/better
> solutions available? Is it possible to prevent the generation of
> CUPS_ENV_OPT?
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoph

Well, the pstops filter used is the "alternate pstops filter". When implementing this stuff
(in order to better support the banner pages), I never thought of encountering names longer than
127 characters (which is the limit in at least PS level 2).

As there is still another bug pending with this filter (parentheses in the title string), I'll
fix this by putting it into a stopped context (without any notice to the user whatsoever).
I guess the fix will take place during the next week.

Drop me an e-mail if you have any complaints.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung