[cups.general] Is there a way to print from Windows 98 using CUPS?

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:35:50 PST 2005

Hi

The "Generic" Adobe PostScript driver can accept any PPD, so you can
actually configure it to work with your printer. I almost never use
this driver with the "generic" PPD.

I find this driver sometimes better than the driver provided by the
manufacturer. For example, in my office we have a Toshiba e-Studio
photocopier and the manufacturer's driver causes many crashes (even on
Windows 2000, which is supposed to be supported), whereas the Adobe
driver has never given us any problems. In terms of functionality, the
Adobe driver on Windows 9x (which is a different driver from the one
on Win2000) seems to be not able to handle some of the complex
UIConstraints, so there might be some loss of functionality.

2005/11/26, Karl Scheel <karl.scheel at sympatico.ca>:
> > If it doesn't print by using a not exactly matching PostScript
> > printer driver in Windows, it may help to edit the Windows PPD file
> > and remove all unwanted PostScript invocation values and JCL settings
> > so that the Windows PostScript printer driver should produce generic
> > PostScript (i.e. without printer specific PostScript and/or JCL stuff).
[stuff deleted]
> Thank you very much, Johannes!  I will try the generic Adobe PostScript
> printer driver route. :-)

Regards,
Ambrose