[cups.general] Non-stop printing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Nov 29 05:01:24 PST 2005

Thibault North wrote:

> Hello,
> Using cups on debian testing (etch) with a remote (tcp/ip) laserjet
> 1160, cups seems not to be able to kill its temporary files into
> /var/spool/cups/.
> Cupsd runs as root.
>
> I just had a look at cupsdconf. Here are some params:
> Security settings:
>  Remote root user : remoteroot <--- is that usefull ? shouldn't it be root ?

That just prevents unauthenticated root access from remote systems and
does not matter.

> Filter Settings:
>   User: lp  <--- I changed it to "root" recommanded for the IPP 631 port.

No, you don't want this, that will run all filters as root instead of
"lp" which opens you up to lots of security issues.

>   Group: lpadmin
>
> But nothing changed...

More than likely the permissions are messed up - please provide the
output of:

     grep -v '^#' /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Also, we'll need to know what version of CUPS you are using (look
for the cupsys package version) and whether you have any of the
SELinux stuff enabled.