[cups.general] Non-stop printing

Thibault North tnorth at bluewin.ch
Tue Nov 29 09:49:39 PST 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Thibault North wrote:

>> Hello,
>> Using cups on debian testing (etch) with a remote (tcp/ip) laserjet
>> 1160, cups seems not to be able to kill its temporary files into
>> /var/spool/cups/.
>> Cupsd runs as root.
>>
>> I just had a look at cupsdconf. Here are some params:
>> Security settings:
>>  Remote root user : remoteroot <--- is that usefull ? shouldn't it be
>> root ?
>

> That just prevents unauthenticated root access from remote systems and
> does not matter.
>
>> Filter Settings:
>>   User: lp  <--- I changed it to "root" recommanded for the IPP 631 port.
>

> No, you don't want this, that will run all filters as root instead of
> "lp" which opens you up to lots of security issues.
>
>>   Group: lpadmin
>>
>> But nothing changed...
>

> More than likely the permissions are messed up - please provide the
> output of:
>
>     grep -v '^#' /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

athlon600:/var/spool/# grep -v '^#' /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
Classification none
DefaultCharset UTF-8
DefaultLanguage en
Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap
PrintcapFormat BSD
RemoteRoot remroot
SystemGroup lpadmin
ServerCertificate /etc/cups/ssl/server.crt
ServerKey /etc/cups/ssl/server.key
<Location />
Encryption IfRequested
Satisfy All
Order deny,allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>
<Location /jobs>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass User
Encryption IfRequested
Satisfy All
Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Encryption IfRequested
Satisfy All
Order deny,allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>
HostnameLookups Off
KeepAlive On
KeepAliveTimeout 60
MaxClients 100
MaxRequestSize 0m
Timeout 300
Listen *:631
AccessLog /var/log/cups/access_log
ErrorLog /var/log/cups/error_log
PageLog /var/log/cups/page_log
MaxLogSize 1m
LogLevel debug2
PreserveJobHistory On
PreserveJobFiles Off
AutoPurgeJobs Yes
MaxJobs 0
MaxJobsPerPrinter 0
MaxJobsPerUser 0
User root
Group lpadmin
RIPCache 8m
FilterLimit 0
DataDir /usr/share/cups
DocumentRoot /usr/share/cups/doc-root
RequestRoot /var/spool/cups
ServerBin /usr/lib/cups
ServerRoot /etc/cups
TempDir /var/spool/cups/tmp
Browsing On
BrowseProtocols CUPS
BrowsePort 631
BrowseInterval 30
BrowseTimeout 300
BrowseOrder allow,deny
ImplicitClasses On
ImplicitAnyClasses Off
HideImplicitMembers Yes
BrowseShortNames Yes

> Also, we'll need to know what version of CUPS you are using (look
> for the cupsys package version) and whether you have any of the
> SELinux stuff enabled.
Cupsys:
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.1.23-10

I don't think I have any SELinux installed... dpkg -l | grep selinux says:
||/ Nom            Version        Description
un  selinux        <néant>        (aucune description n'est disponible)

(strange)

Thanks,
Thibault North