[cups.general] catch/save the job before it's delivered -> repeat it serveral times

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Nov 29 10:42:14 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:46:21PM -0500, ekkard gerlach wrote:
> I've a nice flyer that konica magicolor 2430 drivers need about 3
> minutes to compose the binary that is sent to the printer. Printing the
> document (kprinter) 10 times my Barton 3000 needs about 20 minutes to
> compose the binary. How can I save binary that is sent to the printer so
> that I can sent that file again and again to the printer? - How can I
> sent such a binary directly to the backend ipp?

You should write a backend wrapper to save the final file on disk
just before printing.

If you're lazy, you can just download
Tea4CUPS which will do this for you in less time than you need
to download it from http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/

the you can print this file directly by giving the /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp
executable the proper arguments (launch it without arguments, or read
CUPS' doc, and you'll learn which arguments it expects).
as a probably better alternative, just print your file this way :

        $ lp -o raw yourfile.prn

NB : beware though, if your print queue is managed by Tea4CUPS and
you didn't change your settings after the first print, the file's
datas will be saved again (in a new file)

hth

Jerome Alet