[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1340: ESP Ghostscript 8.15.1 not working well with Apple CUPS under Mac OS X 10.3.9

Larry Shaffer larry at shafferinteractive.com
Thu Nov 3 13:02:43 PST 2005

[STR New]

First the Error:

When printing from Adobe Reader 7.0.5 to a Konica Minolta 5430 DL printer
(non-Postscript) I get poor spooling results for multipage print jobs
(i.e. 5 copies of 1 page rasterizes 5 jobs instead of using the printer's
memory - reducing the printer page/minute by half, 10 pages/minute). This
is with pictwpstops --> pstocupsraster --> rastertokm5430dl. The print
quality is still as good as I have seen from the printer, since I set
'defaults write -g com.apple.print.apple.pictwpstopdf YES', otherwise
Reader rasterizes the output and the colors, including black, are fainter.
Spool problems persist regardless of the pictwpstopdf setting or telling
Reader to 'print as image.' Those are cgpdftoraster --> rastertokm5430dl
in CUPS log.

When I print the same file on a Mac OS X 10.2.8 box with CUPS 1.1.15-2 and
ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1 the colors are a bit paler, but OK, and the print
speeds are what KonicaMinolta advertises - 20-24 pages/minute for color!
Spools the first page and spits out the copies. What I would like is to
print from the OS X 10.3.9 box with the same speed, for copies, but with
the better color fidelity. Plus, it's my development machine!

Here is what I have tried:

1) No third party drivers - in Gimp-Print or Foomatic.

2) Installed ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1 on 10.3.9 box and got the same high
speeds as the 10.2.8 box, but the colors are way too rich and dark. This
is pictwpstops --> pstosraster --> rastertokm5430dl. Got a 'pictwpstops -
got an error disposing of document = -9783' error after first page
printed, until I set Reader's Font and Resources Policy to 'Send for Each
Page.' Good speed, bad color.

3) Tried printing through Apple's Preview program. Yeah, right. Spool
times increased 10 fold! Always cgpdftoraster --> rastertokm5430dl
regardless of print settings. Didn't bother testing further due to insane
spool times.

4) Compiled and installed ESP Ghostscript 8.15.1, as per user suggestion
on < http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L216+I80+T+P1+Q > and ghostscript
works, but not always through CUPS. This is pictwpstops --> pstosraster
--> rastertokm5430dl. Always the 'pictwpstops - got an error disposing of
document = -9783' error regardless of print settings in Reader, which is
where I'd like to print. But, I can now print well through InDesign
(though colors are lighter), where as pictwpstops --> pstocupsraster -->
rastertokm5430dl always did a very poor and spotty job rasterizing from
InDesign.

What I'd like to do:

I'd really like to use pstosraster and ESP Ghostscript 8.15.1 in the
workflow, so that I can print from ALL Adobe apps to this printer, and at
a good page/minute rate. But, it seems Apple's CUPS install won't let me
(evidently, pictwpstops contains Apple code, which is where the error
crops up). Can I overwrite the Apple CUPS install with CUPS 1.1.23, or a
1.2svn, successfully? I have compiled CUPS 1.1.23 already under
/usr/local/ to get ESP Ghostscript 8.15.1 to compile, but didn't really
want to mess with the basic Apple install. Can I get the /usr/local
install to function for me at login or boot instead?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1340
Version: 1.1.20