Wishlist: Better handling of backend error

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Nov 6 06:20:16 PST 2005

Hatto von Hatzfeld wrote:
> When a "backend did not respond within 30 seconds" the cups server is not
> reachable, even other printers are unusable, and it is very difficult to
> figure out what is wrong (cups does not tell which backend has this
> problem). I suggest that this should be improved.

This message is only displayed on cupsd startup - once the server
has started, normal processing can continue.

That said, CUPS 1.2 does away with the probe on startup, and instead
only probes when a CUPS-Get-Devices request is done.  In addition,
the probe starts a separate cups-deviced process which does the
actual probe and allows the cupsd process to continue accepting
and processing requests while it figures out the available devices.