[cups.development] Interface Version for CUPS 1.2

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Nov 14 16:36:59 PST 2005

Taj Morton wrote:
> On 11/13/05, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>> Normally we recommend simply detecting specific functions you require.
>>
>> Here is a quick breakdown based on function and CUPS version for
>> libcups.so.2:
> Thanks for the table, that helps a lot! Do you mean ABI version or API
> version? If an app compiled against 2.6 which only uses 2.3 features,
> is run on a machine with 2.4, will it work?

ABI version.  The API version is major.minor.patch...

Yes, an app that only uses functions in the 2.3 ABI, it will work with
any 2.x where x >= 3.

>>      1.1.20    2.5  cupsDoFileRequest2
> $ nm -D /usr/lib/libcups.so.2| grep cupsDoFileRequest2
> $
> I have cups 1.1.23. Did you mean cupsDoFileRequest, not
> cupsDoFileRequest2? I do have httpSeparate2.

cupsDoFileRequest2 was introduced in 1.1.20, so naturally it will
be in 1.1.23.

>>      1.1.15    2.1  N/A (version bumped for CMYK image support)
> Is there some way to detect if CMYK is enabled?

No, not really, and the image APIs (which was what were changed)
are private prior to 1.2 anyways.