pstocupsraster, pstoraster and cgpdftoraster

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Nov 16 12:17:31 PST 2005

anonymous wrote:
> I assume cgpdftoraster, pstocupsrater, pstoraster generates the same raster
> format?
> I can use the same CUPS API for Mac and Linux?

Yes, specifically the cupsRaster API in libcupsimage (which is
GPL'd, not LGPL'd like libcups)

> pstoraster is a Ghostscript wrapper, which uses Ghostscript for postscript
> rasterizing. Rasterizaing in pstocupsraster is done by CUPS itself?

The pstocupsraster and cgpdftoraster filters are MacOS X specific and
use CoreGraphics to produce raster data.

Keep in mind that Apple only supports a subset of the CUPS raster
modes (see the Apple developer site for the technote on this), so
you'll want to choose a colorspace and color order that is supported
by Apple's filters to be compatible with both Linux and OSX.