[cups.general] printer is just silent

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sat Oct 1 14:57:37 PDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 04:10:23PM -0400, Rolf Schumacher wrote:
> I've got problems installing a HP Laserjet 4050tn.
> I've got no problems to install it in cups and with the ppd from HP.
> The testpage prints perfectly.
> But no software can see it.
> I directed /etc/printcap to /var/run/cups/printcap.
> Every programm offers the 4050tn as the default for printing.

printcap is not used with CUPS, just remove /etc/printcap

what does :     lpstat -t
give ?

this should return the list of configured print queues, and if
they are idle and accepting requests.

can you print when you type :

        $ lp -dYourPrintQueueName somefile.ps

?

If this works, then probably your graphic environment (e.g. Gnome or KDE)
printing facilities are not properly configured.

If this doesn't work, then this is probably a CUPS misconfiguration.

bye

Jerome Alet