printer is just silent

Mon Oct 3 04:37:52 PDT 2005

> On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 04:10:23PM -0400, Rolf Schumacher wrote:
> > I've got problems installing a HP Laserjet 4050tn.
> > I've got no problems to install it in cups and with the ppd from HP.
> > The testpage prints perfectly.
> > But no software can see it.
> > I directed /etc/printcap to /var/run/cups/printcap.
> > Every programm offers the 4050tn as the default for printing.
>
> printcap is not used with CUPS, just remove /etc/printcap
>
> what does :     lpstat -t
> give ?
>
> this should return the list of configured print queues, and if
> they are idle and accepting requests.
>
> can you print when you type :
>
>         $ lp -dYourPrintQueueName somefile.ps
>
> ?
>
> If this works, then probably your graphic environment (e.g. Gnome or KDE)
> printing facilities are not properly configured.
>
> If this doesn't work, then this is probably a CUPS misconfiguration.
>
> bye
>
> Jerome Alet

Thank you, Jerome.

It claryfies some issues.
Now I'm able to give a more precise description:

cups is worked from the commandline and in Gnome.
But almost all of my main applications cannot print:

firefox:
sees something like 4050:64 and postscript/4050, shows a progress bar, but the printer stays silent. However, printing to a postscipt file works fine. I can do a "lp -d4050 mozilla.ps" successfully.

abiword:
offers a dialog to specifi the print command. I entered lp -d4050. The light at the printer was flashing. The light turned off but nothing came out. I also cannot print the generated .ps file.

jedit, netbeans:
no printserver found

As I'm running Debian linux I've installed the package xprt-xprintorg.

Any further idea to help me arround?

Rolf