[cups.general] Re: How an internet browser can print in a raw printer?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Oct 4 01:58:03 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Sep 30 22:36 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
> > On Sep 28 22:56 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
> > > how a browser can print in a raw printer?
> >
> > In any application program which lets you specify a print command
> > you can use the "-o  raw" option for the "lp" print command
>
> Still not working, it prints the postscript file.

It is working.
The browser produces PostScript.
You specified to print "raw".
You get PostScript.

> There isn't anyway of forcing the program to send to the printer
> a plain text file?

Use a browser which can convert a HTML page into plain text.
I.e. try the "text mode" browsers e.g. w3m.
For example try
w3m -dump http://www.suse.com | lp -d <queue> -o raw
but don't complain when you get again "raw" output
(i.e. no LF->CR+LF conversion and no FF at the end).
Perhaps
w3m -dump http://www.suse.com | recode lat1..ibmpc | lp -d <queue> -o raw
is what you want.

> or there isn't any raw driver that converts the postscript file?

This is a contradiction in itself.
Either it is "raw" or it is filtered.

For details see for example
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/06/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html