[cups.general] Re: QUEUE paused: Unable to send print file toprinter:Connection reset by peer

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Oct 4 08:31:38 PDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:12:10AM -0400, Helge Blischke wrote:
> "Vanush (Misha) Paturyan" wrote:
> >
> > Johannes Meixner wrote:

> > > Don't you think it is perhaps a good idea to read and to understand
> > > the whole message which was sent to you to help you with your problem
> > > before you start to complain and shout?

If I followed correctly what you wrote, here's a suggestion :

  - You actually try to print to your printer over the TCP/9100 port
    using the socket backend.

  - MAYBE (only YOU know the answer) while under Windows you printed
    over a different protocol, like lpd, ipp or smb for example and this
    worked just fine, because that's your printer's implementation
    of the AppSocket protocol which sucks, but maybe other protocols
    supported by your printer are correctly implemented and don't fail.
    If this is the case, configure CUPS to print using the very same
    protocol you used when printing from Windows, and it **should**
    work.

I've personally seen an HP JetDirect box which answered mostly at
random, and from time to time didn't accept connections or closed
existing ones. Solution : update the firmware, or change the hardware.
The suggestion seems to be lame, but maybe you'll save some headaches
over time...

bye

Jerome Alet