QUEUE paused: Unable to send print filetoprinter:Connection reset by peer

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Oct 6 06:53:55 PDT 2005

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:12:10AM -0400, Helge Blischke wrote:

> If I followed correctly what you wrote, here's a suggestion :
>
>   - You actually try to print to your printer over the TCP/9100 port
>     using the socket backend.
>
>   - MAYBE (only YOU know the answer) while under Windows you printed
>     over a different protocol, like lpd, ipp or smb for example and this
>     worked just fine, because that's your printer's implementation
>     of the AppSocket protocol which sucks, but maybe other protocols
>     supported by your printer are correctly implemented and don't fail.
>     If this is the case, configure CUPS to print using the very same
>     protocol you used when printing from Windows, and it **should**
>     work.
>
> I've personally seen an HP JetDirect box which answered mostly at
> random, and from time to time didn't accept connections or closed
> existing ones. Solution : update the firmware, or change the hardware.
> The suggestion seems to be lame, but maybe you'll save some headaches
> over time...
>
> bye
>
> Jerome Alet

I have a similar problem and I can not imagine that it is a hardware problem. I work with different printservers (Allnet / Intel) and different printers (HP / Kyocera) and from time to time most of the printers are disabled.

The only diffrence is the backend. I am working with the LPD Backend.

The error message in error_log:
Unable to send trailing nul to printer: Broken Pipe
Remote host did not accept data file (32)
PID 29618 stopped with status 1!

The Cups-Version is 1.1.23 and the OS is SuSE 9.3

Greets
Thomas Laufer