[cups.general] a queue that prints to a script

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Oct 6 14:18:07 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 03:29:02PM -0500, david.bain wrote:
> I'd like to be able to configure a cups queue which sends a postscript
> file to a custom script.
>
> My script is called "printtoheadoffice"
> At the command line I can type:
>
>   printtoheadoffice myfile.ps
>
> The result is that 'myfile.ps' is moved to another server and printing
> is initiated with an 'lpr' command.
>
> I need to create a 'virtual printer' that will invoke this script on a
> ps file as it is created by cups.

Tea4CUPS, available under the terms of the GNU General Public License
of the Free Software Foundation from :

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/Tea4CUPS/action_Presentation

Is exactly what you are searching for, and more !

As an alternative, you have to write a filter or a backend, depending
on your needs. This is described in CUPS' documentation.

hoping this helps

bye

Jerome Alet