[cups.general] How many printer can you manage with cups

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 7 08:17:01 PDT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 05:00, takere01 at msn.com wrote:
>Hallo
>
>we would like to use an Cups Printing system for over 1000 Printers
>does any body know how many printers 1 server can handle if 1
printout
> per minute is Generated with about 200K size and about 10-30 % of
the
> printers are offline
>
>Do wie have a chanse to administer this over the webinterface?

I think its at least as good as the chances of getting enough
hardware together to drive 1000 printers is.  Using usb printers, I
think you would hit the usb device limit of 127 devices (IIRC) and
have to make use of multiple machines as printing servers.  You may
also run into usb bandwidth problems if each printer is doing a page
a minute.

I'm not sure _I'd_ want to wade thru the web pages 1000 printers
display, each with potentially several configs (I have 4 for one Epson
C82, called lp0, lp1 etc depending on what I'm sending the printer,
text or photos) so the 'manage printers' page is going to be very very
long.

Hint, use the web interface on the box the printers are connected to
to do the configuration, and do not reuse an lpXXX printer number as
thats the unique per printer id. Humm, I wonder if a 4 digit (lp9999)
number is valid, says he out loud...

If it can take 4 digit numbers, I think I'd reserve 0-127 for box
zero, 200-327 for box one etc.  That way if one miss-behaves, you'd
know from the first digit of its number which box that printer was
attached to without having to consult a wall chart you made up to
keep track of things.

Good luck.

--
Cheers, Gene