Howto implement manual duplex in CUPS

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Oct 9 12:30:24 PDT 2005

Hi, I'm trying to find out how to realize 'manual duplex' in CUPS.
I have looked around a bit and found 2 types of solutions:

1. Use the options in CUPS-printer drivers and print
(depending on your printer) first the odd-pages and then the even pages in reverse.
The problem with this solution is that it is quite complicated in
daily usage. Also it is impossible to combine N-up printing in
combination with manual duplex.

2. Use a special print application like 'duplex'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/duplexpr/) or printDuplex
(http://printduplex.sourceforge.net/). These programs first print one
side of the pages, prompt the user to switch the paper and then print
the opposite sides.

The second solution is more flexible, but requires in most programs to
save the file and then call the 'duplex' or 'printduplex' program to
do the actual printing.

Question: what I'm looking for is a way to patch/call these print programs in such way that they can be used in CUPS to define a "pseudoprinter". The pseudoprinter would start with printing odd-pages, prompt for refeeding the paper and then continue with the other sides.
The effect would be that if you want to do manual duplex, you can
print without too much hassle and without leaving e.g. the word-processing application.

I looked in the CUPS-manuals, but could not figure it out. Would this
solution be a filter, or do you have to define a PPD file?

Peter