Ricoh Aficio 550

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon Oct 10 19:01:47 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Dan.
>
> My printer is now recognized by the system but when I try to print something, well..  it doesn't print anything.

How do you mean the printer is recognized?

> During the configuration I had to choose Generic Printer/Postscript Printer.

If you installed the ppd file properly, then you should have seen a
description of the printer ... ie you should *not* choose Generic
Printer / Postscript Printer. If you don't see an entry for a Ricoh,
then either:

a) You didn't install the ppd in the right place, or
b) You didn't restart CUPS before adding your printer, or
c) The ppd file isn't valid

> Should I try with another ppd file ?

Make *sure* you've ruled out a) and b), and then try deleting your
printer and adding it again. If you still don't see a description of
your printer, then yes, it's time to try another ppd.

When you get to the 'model' page of the add-printer wizard thing, you
should see a list of printer manufacturers. 'Ricoh' should be one of
them. When you select 'Ricoh' and hit 'Continue', you should see a list
of Ricoh models ( ie ppd files ).

I've got:

Ricoh Aficio 700 Foomatic/hpics (recommended) (en)
RICOH Aficio 2027 PS (en)
Ricoh Aficio AP2000 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended) (en)

  ... because I've added these 3 ppds from various places.

The *only* other thing I can think of that might be causing you grief is
that Ricoh don't include Postscript as a standard feature - it's an
optional extra. Are you *sure* that this printer has the Postscript option?

Dan