Ricoh Aficio 550

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Tue Oct 11 17:08:43 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> I put my ppd files in /etc/cups/ppd and in /usr/share/cups/model (found 2 files for my printer in the windows drivers I downloaded).
>
> I restarted cups with /etc/init.d/cups restart.
>
> My error_log in /var/log/cups tells me :
> I [11/Oct/2005:10:50:42 +0200] LoadPPDs: Read "/etc/cups/ppds.dat", 16 PPDs...
> I [11/Oct/2005:10:50:42 +0200] LoadPPDs: No new or changed PPDs...
> I had 14 before adding the 2 new ppd files.
>
> But when I try to add a printer the model of my printer still doesn't exist in the Ricoh list.
>
> I suppose the ppd files aren't corrects, but these are the only ppd I found on the web.

Yeah it's starting to sound like the PPDs you have aren't valid. They
should show up in the list. I *think* there's a PPD validator around
somewhere. I've read about it, but not used it. Maybe you should search
up on that.

> I tried with another model driver : aficio 700, and at the printing test, I have the message " Data sent successfully" but nothing came out of the printer...

That doesn't sound so good. You can check that you have the correct tray
& paper options. A lot of printers these days have a sook if you try to
print to the wrong tray / paper size. For example, our Ricoh has A4
paper in it, but if people try to print a document formatted for Letter
sized paper, the printer locks. So check in the CUPS printer config page
that you have the right paper size and tray options. Then clear the
queue ( deleting the contents of /var/spool/cups/* ( but not the
directory itself ), and restarting CUPS, while also restarting the
printer works for me. Then try printing another test page.

After this, I'd be going to Ricoh for help. Is the printer under lease
agreement? Ours is - unfortunately. Anyway, they'll be able to tell you
for sure whether the printer supports Postscript. Alternatively, you can
go to the printer and print out some config pages which might tell you
what options the printer supports.

> Thanks a lot anyway for your help, Dan.

That's OK. Sorry we don't have it working yet. I'm starting to think
that it doesn't support Postscript :(

Dan