cupsd process not starting

Matt Broughton walterwego at macosx.com.invalid
Wed Oct 12 19:09:47 PDT 2005

In article <22744-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
 Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:

> msanta at nycboe.mnet wrote:
> > The cupsd process for some reason is not starting during the boot up
> > process therefore I can't see my printers. As soon as I start it
> > using the Printer Setup Repair program everything goes well. The
> > problem is when I restart, the cupsd process stops again. I tried
> > using the same utility to change from automatic hostconfig to yes but
> > still no luck. What can I do to solve this issue?
>
> OK, I'm going out on a limb and say you are running MacOS X 10.4.
> (kinda hard to be sure, since you didn't mention that fact...)
>
> Anyways, if my guess is correct, you are running into a known
> "feature" that was added in 10.4 where cupsd is only run as needed.
> However, the auto-start only works when connecting to the domain
> socket (/var/run/cupsd) and not via the network sockets.
>
> The quickest fix is to go into system preferences, open the sharing
> pane, and check "printer sharing" to get cupsd to run all of the time.

Thank you for this solution Michael.  I believe this question originally
started on the Apple Discussion boards where I had suggested to set the
/etc/hostconfig file entry for CUPS from AUTOMATIC to YES.

I originally thought that might solve the issue as cupsd would then
start "normally" and not use the "-L" option.  I could find no
information on this option and thought it might be an Apple "feature"
when this issue first came up some time ago with other users.  I had
noticed that it appeared cupsd would not start unless the system saw a
viable printer on boot up.

When the cupsd process starts normally (without the -L option), I still
notice that the "scheduler shuts down normally" after a period of
inactivity.

A couple of questions if I may:
1.  Is the scheduler "going to sleep" an Apple feature or is it part of
CUPS 1.1.23?

2.  Is it the -L option on boot up or the scheduler "going to sleep"
that is the cause of the OP's problem -- or a combination of both?

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.