Bad CUPS/SMB errors from Windows2K

Jason jasonkosowan at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 01:36:56 PDT 2005

I'm getting a really bad error when I try to print from Win2K to CUPS via Samba.  I have configured my printer correctly and it prints perfectly from the CUPS web interface.  Also, via my win2k box, I can not only see the server but can read/write remote files and also see the printer. As a further test, I can also print to the printer from my Mac Powerbook via either SMB or IPP. But, no printing works at all with my Win2K box.

When I go to add the SMB printer, it makes me pick a local driver, which is as expected, so I do and everything is fine.  Then, when I go to print, I get the following message in a windows dialog box:

"Printing failed when starting the document"

I've tried bypassing the SMB as well by using the IPP protocol with a URL of http://192.168.0.50:631/printers/Dell720, but that was even worse, since my printjob hung, nothing came out the other end, and it got borked so badly, I had to restart the Windows print queue.

I'm running Debian/Knoppix and the printer is a Dell 720 USB Photo Printer. Just getting good drivers installed for this printer was already a huge job, and I'm running out of patience.

My smb.conf looks like this for right now, but I've tried almost 100 combinations of different settings, with no luck.

[global]
# Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   browsable = yes
   netbios name = Bob
   os level = 99
   security = user
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   ;server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   server string = BOB
   syslog only = no
   syslog = 0;
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = smbpasswd guest
   wins support = yes
# If we receive WINS server info from DHCP, override the options above.
   include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   unix password sync = false
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   max log size = 1000
   obey pam restrictions = yes
 unix charset = iso-8859-15
 display charset = iso-8859-15