[cups.general] Forcing Greyscale, works with unix - not windows

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Oct 14 06:27:49 PDT 2005

Brad Langhorst wrote:

> >>sure - I don't expect there to be any changes to the ppd on the
> >>clients... I want cups to spool the job through a pstops and strip out
> >>the color information.
> >>
> >>Do you know if that is possible?
> >>
> >>brad
> >

> > It depends on wether the printing app itself queries the PPD (either directly or via printer driver
> > functions), like e.g. QuarkXpress does or not. Perhaps you could post a sample file to have a look
> > into?
> >
> > Helge
>
> I don't understand... how could an app on the client query the ppd that
> resides on the cups server?
With PostScript printing, the client computer (e.g. Mac or Winxx) DOES have a PPD that pretends to
describe the printer's properties. The PPD should be the same as the one used by CUPS (that is one reason
I recommended using cupsaddsmb).

> I've figured out why i get the error page - it's because pstops adds a
> second EOF marker to the output when it runs on.
That's probably due to lacking DSC conformace of the print job. Therefore the need for a sample file ...

> I posted that problem in another thread.
>
> I'd be happy to post a sample file - but i'm not sure we're
> understanding each other yet...
>
> brad

Helge

--