MaxClients value Question

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Oct 18 11:57:30 PDT 2005

oehmes at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have a problem with a huge Cups installation. we run about 500 Printers on a single Cups Server and sharing this printers over Samba.
> The Problem is at login time we connect several Printers to different clients. samba opens a new connection to cups for each printer (i assume to query status).
>
> sometimes we are not able to refresh a printer from a client, because there are so many outstanding requests, that run on the cups server, i assume this has to do with the default of MaxClient Value to 100 .
> is it save to increase this to 500 ?

You can't set it that high with a default kernel configuration;
CUPS will internally limit the MaxClients value to 1/3 the maximum
per-process file descriptor limit, so for the default configuration
that means 1024/3 = 341.

If you bump the file descriptor limit up, then you'll be able to use
larger MaxClients values, however be warned that recent versions of
glibc apparently are enforcing an arbitrary limit of 1024 file
descriptors with select(), even though the kernel has no such limit...