Printer status - ink levels, paper... returned to windows

jrlaprad at yahoo.com jrlaprad at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 20:09:16 PDT 2005

Hello, I have cups 1.1.23 installed on Suse 10 and a usb inkjet printer on the suse box. I have several windows computers which have network printers printing to the inkjet on the suse box. The printer is set up as a raw printer and the window clients use the inkjet print drivers. They can print great. However the windows boxes never get any status messages back from the printer. Stuff like ink levels, out of paper etc. I have to use a raw printer because there is not an exact linux driver for the printer (canon i960). the address they print to is: http://linux.johnsnet.net:631/printers/i960_Net

Is there a way to get these messages back to the windows clients?

btw; this is all new to me, its my first linux box, so I may be missing something basic here - have patients
Thanks