[cups.general] CUPS

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Oct 19 07:45:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:25:52AM -0400, rmcgraw at prudue.edu wrote:
> I have been asked by the department head to look at page usage per
> user and I am wondering if this a available under CUPS.

If you print using only PostScript driver.

> If so is it smart enough to determine if a job is printing in
> duplex or N-UP?

Not sure with CUPS-only

> If not, what have other people done or what do people recommend in
> looking at page usage.

I'd suggest PyKota or accsnmp (find them on www.cups.org's main page)

both support hardware accounting, so N-up is correctly accounted for.

for Duplex, usually printing in Duplex mode counts 2 pages when hardware
accounting is used : printers' internal page counters are ncremented
each time a sheet passes through the paper path.

In any case, printing in Duplex mode only saves paper, but what is
expensive is ink, not paper. Also duplex units tend to have more
paper jams.

I can give a bit more info for PyKota though :

If you use software accounting with PyKota, your success with Duplex mode
accounting currently depends on the driver used. Don't count on it,
or define two print queues : one with simplex only, the other one with
duplex only, and set differents costs per page or per job on these
queues.

bye

Jerome Alet