Force printer to print in black & white

kku kku at elex.be
Thu Oct 20 08:29:35 PDT 2005

Hello All,

I have migrated from LDP on Redhat to Cups on Debian succesfully...except for 1 thing.

I am unable to force a color printer to print in b/w.

The situation is as follows:
I a have a limited group of people who have the right to print in color to a certain printer. All the other people also have rights to print to that printer...but only in b/w.

To accomplish this I have set up 2 different print queues in cups, one where I enable color, the other where I enable b/w.

If I now print the testpage in Cups...everything works like a charm.

If however my users (who are printing from samba) print to the b/w queue in color...the page is printed in color :(

So the print job is just being passed by cups...and the b/w is not being forced.

I can also see this in the /var/log/cups/error_log file...

it shows me "%%BeginFeature: *ColorModel CMYK" where after the pstops filter it should have showed me "%%BeginFeature: *ColorModel Gray"

I have already tried to adjust the ppd of the b/w queue by adding the following code:

*JobPatchFile 1: "% force colormodel
<</ColorModel Gray>>setpagedevice
/_orig_setpagedevice /setpagedevice load def
/setpagedevice
{
  dup /ColorModel undef % trash any colormodel setting
  _orig_setpagedevice
}bind def"
*End

But this doesn't seem to be working at all...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
Kim