Force printer to print in black & white

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Oct 24 05:51:34 PDT 2005

kku wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have migrated from LDP on Redhat to Cups on Debian succesfully...except for 1 thing.
>
> I am unable to force a color printer to print in b/w.
>
> The situation is as follows:
> I a have a limited group of people who have the right to print in color to a certain printer. All the other people also have rights to print to that printer...but only in b/w.
>
> To accomplish this I have set up 2 different print queues in cups, one where I enable color, the other where I enable b/w.
>
> If I now print the testpage in Cups...everything works like a charm.
>
> If however my users (who are printing from samba) print to the b/w queue in color...the page is printed in color :(
>
> So the print job is just being passed by cups...and the b/w is not being forced.
>
> I can also see this in the /var/log/cups/error_log file...
>
> it shows me "%%BeginFeature: *ColorModel CMYK" where after the pstops filter it should have showed me "%%BeginFeature: *ColorModel Gray"
>
> I have already tried to adjust the ppd of the b/w queue by adding the following code:
>
> *JobPatchFile 1: "% force colormodel
> <</ColorModel Gray>>setpagedevice
> /_orig_setpagedevice /setpagedevice load def
> /setpagedevice
> {
>   dup /ColorModel undef % trash any colormodel setting
>   _orig_setpagedevice
> }bind def"
> *End
>
> But this doesn't seem to be working at all...
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kim

Did you consider using the CUPS web interface to configure your printers? If the PPD is correct,
you may easily choose the appropriate default values, individually for each queue.

Of course, you may do this configuration using the lpoptions and lpadmin commands, but the
web interface is much more intuitive at this point.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung