Detecting the configuration of a Xerox Document Center 470ST

Marvin Lyndon marvin.lyndon at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:34:39 PDT 2005

Hi everyone

I am trying to use CUPS 1.1.23 to print to my department's main networked printer, a Xerox Document Center 470ST, from my Linux laptop. My problem is that the IT department won't even tell me how everything is configured.

The only information I have is:

- when I send a print job from my Windows machine, the printed pages show up under a cover sheet which has my Windows/Novell username written across it in big letters

- going to the Windows control panel of a computer which can print to the Xerox, selecting this printer, "Properties" and then "Ports" shows that it is "talking" to the printer over "Standard TCP/IP Protocol" to the address 128.122.182.248 on port 9100. The selected protocol is "raw" (rather than "LPR").

Does this mean that this is a Windows printer and I should be using Samba? Or that it is using Novell? (If so, can I still use CUPS?) I tried configuring CUPS to send jobs over either IPP or LPR to socket://128.122.182.248:9100 using the recommended PPD for the Document Center 400 (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Xerox-Document_Centre_400) but always get an "server-error-internal-error" message.

The /var/log/cups/error_log file is filled with nothing but

E [24/Oct/2005:13:37:25 -0400] AddCert: Unable to create certificate file /etc/cups/certs/0 - File exists

I would be really grateful for any guidance.

Best

Marvin