[cups.general] Problems with printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Oct 25 00:13:35 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Oct 25 07:38 Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch wrote (shortened):
> I've added a new Ricoh multi function printer (AF1515PS).
> The printer supports lpd,ipp and socket:9100 printing.
> All three methods are working for cups clients.
> All methods do not work for the windows people using samba
> who are trying to print !
> The print job is send to the printer, but the printer
> resets the print job and nothing is printed.

This shows that the plain data transfer to the printer seems to
work but the printer cannot process (i.e. print) the data.
Therefore the reason is the "driver" (i.e. the software which
produces the printer specific data).

> SuSE 9.1, cups 1.1.20, samba 3.0.20
>
> [global]
>         printcap name = cups
>         cups options = raw
>
> #
> I have also used the printer without a ppd file
> as a raw printer, but also this could not solve the problem.

The "cups options = raw" enforces Samba to do raw printing
so that it is the same result as using a "raw printer".

> I've installed the PCL driver for the windows people,

It seems that this driver doesn't produce the right
printer specific data.
For example the printer may be switched to a PostScript-only
mode or a wrong PCL emulation mode?
Try to use the original manufacturer driver for Windows.

> My first guess was, that the pcl job is going through a ps
> filter and somehow is getting corruppted.

Not when you use raw printing (i.e. for Samba "cups options = raw"
or "lp -o raw ..." when printing from command line)
and not when you use a raw queue (i.e. a "raw printer").

Use
grep 'Started ' /var/log/cups/error_log
to see which filters and which backend is started for a job.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de