[cups.general] Is cups a total mystery?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Oct 27 17:00:42 PDT 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 16:50, anonymous at easyw.com wrote:
>Hello all. I apologize if I am beeing offensive but I cannot believ the
> lack of information and knowledge on cups. I have asked my trustworthy
> fourms (this being one) on how to add an LPD Host queue (and actually
> get it to work) and have gotten no response. The documentation "states"
> to add xinetd, create the printer service and then HTTP://LOCALHOST:631
> and follow all the prompts. That is inadequate documentaion to me!

First, the reference to xinetd is new to me.  Yes I run it, but it has
little or nothing to do with cups that I'm aware on.  The only lpd or
cups related thingy in /etc/xinetd.d is an rpmsave, probably a leftover
from playing with lprng or something that got nuked when it didn't work.

You should be able to send mozilla/firefox to localhost:631 once the
cupsd daemon is started (assuming you are also running httpd of course)
and add and configure your printer completely from that web interface.

Note that you can configure one printer as several, each with a preset
configuration specialized for the job at hand, like I have lp0 defined as
a quick and dirty low resolution (360dpi both ways) black and white
printer for textual output.  Then lp1 is defined as the same thing with
color added.  lp2 is then a 720x dpi both ways color setup set as the
default, and lp3 is a 1440x1440 full color configuration, all into the
same Epson C-82 printer on a usb port.  The last is slow, but is the gold
standard mode for that printer.  It is also shareable over your home
network, I have 3 machines total here, and any of them can automaticly
send a print job to this printer.  Its visible from the other 2 machines
when I'm looking at localhost:631 from either of those machines as long as
cups is installed, httpd and the cupsd daemon is running.

>So my questions area:
>
>- How do I server up an LPD host queue?

Other than cups including those 'lpd' named things for command line
use, you won't need them often or at all once cups is properly
configured. The rest of the system will just know about the printer and
use it, beit kmail, gimp (well, that does need gimp-print or gutenprint).
The coverage is such that any program from acroread to firefox/mozilla,
OOo or anything else I've tried that has a print pulldown in its menu's,
Just Works(TM).

But the individual setups will vary considerably, so the user will need to
do some studying and experimenting.

>- How DO I server up a already defined queue (like Virtual PDF queue)
> via LPD?

This question is moot once cups is running correctly.