Limiting list of printers seen by user?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Fri Oct 28 01:50:42 PDT 2005

Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> writes:

Sorry for taking up an old thread, but I finally got the time to
experiment a bit with this. I did some tests with 1.2svn weekly
snapshot, r4810.

> Erik Forsberg wrote:
> > I assume that all parts of the chain need to be updated, i.e. both
> > CUPS libraries and server?
>
> Yes.  The core functionality is implemented in the CUPS server, but
> the client also needs to send the requesting-user-name attribute to
> get the limited list...
>
> > Will existing programs, compiled against an older CUPS library
> > version, work with a newer CUPS library that provides this
> > functionality?
>
> Yes, the CUPS 1.2 libraries are binary compatible with CUPS 1.1.x.

This did sound so good, that I immediately got suspicios. Had to be
too good to be true :-).

I was correct. The problem is that there are a whole bunch of programs
that create their own CUPS queries, without using libcups. The KDE
printing system (at least in KDE 3.4 on FC3) seems to do their own, as
well as Openoffice 1.1.3. Bah!

I tested on Fedora Core 3, because that is the system one of my
customers, who wants to use this feature, runs. Behaviour may be
better on other distributions.

The above is my conclusion based on observations of the CUPS traffic
on the network, as well as output from ldconfig for the tested
applications. I'll happily accept if someone proves me wrong! :-)

Btw, one funny effect of running CUPS 1.2svn-r4810 on this system is
that 'kdeprinter' fails to start because it tries to do DNS queries
for "/var/run/cups/cups.sock", which fails. This happends regardless
of existence of a 'Listen localhost:631'. Should I file a STR on this?
Perhaps the configuration variable for file-system-sockets should be
another, for better backwards compatibility?

Regards,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Cendio AB                    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00