BrowsePoll+BrowseRelay versus BrowseAddress+BrowseRelay and list only subset of printers

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Oct 28 02:45:21 PDT 2005

Hi,

every subnet here has a cups server that serve
the printers of the group and announce them on the
their subnets.  PCs access their subnet cups-srv directly
and Laptops have a cups-srv that just listens for cups
broadcasts.

Now cups-srvA should also
  1) list + announce (aka broadcast) those of cups-srvB.
  2) list + announce one printer from cups-srvC

I eventually found 'solutions' but I wonder if
there are more better/elegant/simpler solution:

Case 1):

AFAIU cups announces a) printer state in regular intervals
and b) immediately everytime a prinerstate changes.

BrowsePoll/BrowseRelay forwards case a) to another subnet
(this I use currently) but I found no way with BrowseAddress
and BroseRelay to get all cases, a) and b), to the subnet
of cups-srvA.

BrowseAddress from cups-srvB to cups-srvA works fine
but I found no way to BrowseRelay those to the subnetA.

cups-srvB:  BroweAddress cups-srvA
cups-srvA:  BrowseRelay  ???    subnetA.255

Would the nice to replace  BrowsePoll+BrowseRelay with
BrowseAddress+BrowseRelay.

case 2): only one printer from cups-srvC

this cups server has lots of printers and my
users complained that printer list is 'poluted'
with lots of printers that are never used.
They only wanted to see the one A0 plotter
they need.

First I added a printer to my cups-srvA that
used as device the queue on the cups-srvC.
Now the printer was replace with a new one.
and I have to delete/add a new printer.

Is there a simpler way to get and announce
on the subnet, a subset of printers from
another cups server?

Thx for any hint.
Achim
                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com