Clean cups.conf file

rajsand at yahoo.com rajsand at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 08:22:43 PDT 2005

We have here six desktops (with hard disk) and a ha-ltsp-drbd (dual opteron/4GB/Raid etc.) cluster serving about 50 thin clients connected together. Now there are 2 Samsung SCX-4100, 1 HP1020(a very poor choice for linux environ), 1 Samsung 1710, 1 HP5160, 1 HP640C printers.

Now the printers work on the Desktops with HDD.

But attempting to keep it printing from any thin client is turning out to be a nightmare scenario.

Thin clients are FC3 and couple of "thick" clients have FC4 in them.

it seems many guys cups-config-daemon, eggcups, redhat printer config, etc. etc. seem to clobber the cups.conf file.

Not to mention powering off the system without shutting down.

I am deeply committed to make this experimantal OSS only setup work in academic environment.

Could somebody please help with clean set of cups.conf for this kind of setup with a group of on-root users who can delete jobs and start/stop printers.

Help would be deeply appriciated...

Rajagopal
Thane, India