CHARSET environment set for filter

mock anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Oct 20 02:41:27 PDT 2005

Hi all,

we use CUPS 1.1.20 as distributed with SuSE SLES 9.
We're working with utf-8 enabled. When we send a print job to the local CUPS server, this CUPS server directs the IPP request to the CUPS server on which printer queues are configured. This IPP request is done with charset utf-8. The printjob is accepted by the final CUPS server, the filter program is started, but the CHARSET environment variable is set to iso-8859-15. Data sent is definitely utf-8 encoded umlauts.

Can you please explain that or give a hint why this it that way?
I didn't find a part in the documenttaion explaining the reason for the environment variable CHARSET. What is it good for?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Andreas Mock