Trying to debug a printerdriver..

Johan Henselmans johan at netsense.nl
Fri Oct 21 22:59:04 PDT 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Johan Henselmans wrote:
>> Now my theory would be that I would call:
>> /usr/lib64/cups/filter/texttops job-id johan title 1 options
>> rastertoboca.c | /usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoraster | ./rastertoboca |
>> less
>>
>> and would see the debug output. Alas, I only see DEBUG2 output from
>> the previous steps. What am I doing wrong? Did I miss something?
>
> You'll want to send stdout to a file and pipe stderr into less (or
> just redirect stderr to a file and less/more it afterwards)
>
> Also, make sure you set the PPD environment variable to the PPD file
> for your driver so the filters know what kind of raster data to
> produce.

OK, here's what I did:
export PPD=/usr/share/cups/model/bocafgl44mini

/usr/lib64/cups/filter/texttops 1 johan test 1 options rastertoboca.c  |
/usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstops | /usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoraster |
../rastertoboca >testfile 2>errfile

The error I got was: ERROR: rastertoboca job-id user title copies
options [file]

Somehow the redirection does not work properly: I am getting:

ppp10:/usr/local/src/cups-1.1.23/filter # cat errfile
ERROR: rastertoboca job-id user title copies options [file]

So apparently there is an error in the passing of arguments. What am I
doing wrong?

Johan