[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1319: natural-scaling one pageonly

Andreas Thomsen tom at andreas-thomsen.de
Sat Oct 29 10:06:04 PDT 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Andreas Thomsen wrote:
>> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>> [STR Active]
>>>
>>> CUPS has always used multiple pages if the image exceeded the printable
>>> area of the page - that is one of the features we brought over from our
>>> ESP Print software (which goes back to 1994).  It is possible that the
>>
>> Ok, would you please consider this as a feature request. I know
>> serveral people in my Linux User Group, who would consider this as
>> quite helpful.
>>
>> Adobe Acrobat Reader -- just as a example -- calls this behaviour
>> "shrink oversize pages to paper size".
>
> Yeah, but that feature is equivalent to "scaling=100"!

Hi Michael, Hi All!

My apologies for my lack of English or my ability to make it clear. I
try again to explain what I'm thinking of. Or maybe I just don't
understand the manuals.

Anyway, my understanding of the manual is, that there are two options
of scaling.

Firstly, scaling=xxx, which scales an image to the given percentage of
the output page size, i.e. if I state scaling=100 cups scales an image
to the full page size, regardless what the image size is, e.g. an 1
cm² image is scaled to full A4 or the other way round a A3 image is
scaled down to A4.

Secondly, natural-scaling=xxx, which scales the image to a given
percentage of the original image size, i.e. if I state
natural-scaling=100 I get a 1:1 copy of the image, e.g. a 1 cm² image
stays at 1 cm² and an overlarge image uses multiple pages.

The feature that I request (and some of my friends as well) is, that
it should be possible, not to use multiple pages for images that
exceed the page margins when using natural-scaling, but -- at the
users choice -- simply ignore the margins and print all that fits into
the page and drop the rest, or scale the image down to fit the paper size.

An example:

If I want to photocopy an A4 paper, I need a copy that is exactly the
same size and aspect ratio as the original. In this case I'd like to
have a natural-scaling=100 image on one page only while ignoring the
few dots that my printer can't print at the margins.

Another one:

If I print a picture of my girl friend, I'd like to have her on one
page, but additionally I want to have the whole picture on that page.

Please don't get me wrong. I know you did a great job with cups, and
the scaling options make sense in a lot of settings.

Best regards,
Andreas