[cups.general] need recommendations for printer

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Sep 4 17:32:22 PDT 2005

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Thanks. The PPD is OK. It passes the "cupstestppd" test. It also shows
> that your printer understands PostScript, "BRScript" is the name of
> Brother's PostScript interpreter.
>
> So from the driver side your printer should not be a problem. It should
> simply work.
>
> Did you follow Brother's instructions from the link which I have posted?

as I stated in an earlier post, not exactly.  I will spend some time
tomorrow untangling the ubuntu/gnome tools from cups and see if
reinstalling has any effect.

> What is the problem with this printer?

I print from windows with a brother driver, it all works fine.  I can
print up to a hundred page draft manuscript no problems.

Printing from Linux using ipp and their PPD file, a single web page
locks up the printer.  Complete and total lockup of network interface
and buttons on the front panel.  Power cycle is required before printer
is usable in any way shape or form.  I have spent much time on the phone
with brother technical support, had the printer swapped out once (they
behaved identically), I have added the maximum amount of memory possible
in case it was a buffer overflow problem (brother suggestion).

> If you do not get it to run on the network, did you try it also on USB?

no I haven't.  I was hoping to avoid that rat hole because it forces me
to confront a larger (much much larger) rat hole called Samba.

I appreciate the help.  I have been doing virtually everything asked of
me by various people to try and make this work and I'm going on about a
month now of problems with this printer.

--- eric