print to samba printer without specifying password in advance

Toby Blake toby at inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon Sep 5 03:24:34 PDT 2005

Hi there,

Is there a way to set up printing to a samba-shared printer in CUPS
without having to specify a username and password combination in advance?

e.g. to print to our samba-shared printers, the need to be installed in
this way in CUPS:

smb://username:password@DOMAIN/samba.server/printername

- omitting the password, or both the username and password, results in
printing failing with authorisation errors - it doesn't prompt for the
missing information.

The main problem with embedding the username and password in the URI, is
that this password is written, in clear-text, in printers.conf, and is
therefore readable by anyone with root permission on that machine (and
on a Mac, readable by anybody with admin permissions).  This is a
horrible security whole and something I'd like to prevent our users from
doing.

However, there doesn't seem to be any other way to print to a
samba-shared printer, where the samba share requires authorisation.  Is
this true, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance
Toby Blake
University of Edinburgh