[cups.general] Printing from Linux to OS X

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Sep 6 09:34:08 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 04:41:24PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'm a Linux user that was given an older PowerMac running OS X (10.3)
> and Cups 1.1 and an attached Epson Photo 870.  I can get the test
> page to print and can print from OpenOffice, but not from The Gimp.

[...]

>         Device URI: file:///dev/null

That was the problem.  I run lpinfo -v on the Mac and it reported the
URI:

  direct usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20870?serial=w44150006290707120

Updated printers.conf and it now prints from The Gimp (gimp-print) on
a client running Linux.

>     Why is the Device URI /dev/null?

Good question!  Why was it /dev/null by default?  Do files normally
get submitted as PS or PDF and get routed to the printer by another
route?  So raw printing is not supported by default?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org