cups and hl5170dn

Patrick Pletscher debian at galaxysoft.ch
Thu Sep 8 09:03:43 PDT 2005

How I got my HL5170DN printer working (on Debian unstable):

# cp /cdrom0/I_can'tremberpath/BR5170_2.ppd /usr/share/cups/model
# /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Then type in the webbrowser localhost:631 and go to printers -> add new printer. As device you select ipp and address is ipp://your_network_address/POSTSCRIPT_P1. As driver you select Brother -> ...BRScript3

This works at least for me, however I still have problems with duplex printing: I always get the errox DX LEVER ERROR, although I select everywhere A4 and the lever of the printer is as well set to A4, that's odd...

Hope that helps