print to samba printer without specifying password in advance

Toby Blake toby at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 02:40:29 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> use domain authentication - your samba box needs to be part of your domain or ad.

We don't have a 'domain' as such and don't run AD - our central
infrastructure is all Linux.

The problem *isn't* with the samba server - it's with the CUPS clients
being unable to do authenticated printing against the samba server
without storing the password in plain-text in a file on disk.  For
instance, what do I do if I want to print as a different user from the
person who set up the printer in CUPS?

Cheers
Toby