[cups.general] OS X question

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Sep 12 14:54:08 PDT 2005

I'm trying to understand CUPS on the Mac a bit more (I'm new to the
Mac).  When I received the Mac (10.3.9) I could print on the Mac using
all the special PPD options of the printer (page size, resolutions,
paper type, etc.), but when printing via CUPS from a remote machine
(Linux) none of those options were available.  I could print, but the
options were not available.

I deleted all the printers on the Mac and then installed Gutenprint on
the Mac and selected the printer again (Epson Photo 870).  Now I have
the options available both when printing on the Mac (from a native Mac
applications) and from any client via CUPS.

Why were the options only available on the Mac and not on the clients
via CUPS?

One thing I do notice is now when printing via an application on the
Mac it seems like the available options (paper options, etc) are
slower to display.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org