[cups.general] Re: print to samba printer without specifyingpassword in advance

Toby Blake toby at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 08:08:31 PDT 2005

Matt Hull wrote:
> i wouldnt use samba to do anything from a linux client to a linux server.
> however, linux is missing secure file sharing and printing on an untrusted
> netowrk.  nfs only works on a trusted network, and cups doesnt do any
> authentication from a client running a cups spooler.
>
> i have been using linux for a few years, correct me if i am wrong on that

I'm not quite sure I understand what point you're making above re secure
file sharing, linux and so on (linux is as secure as you want to make
it, for instance you can run AFS on linux, thereby giving you a secure
file system).

The problem I'm trying to solve is that of printing from a CUPS client
on OSX to an authenticated samba server - the problem being that CUPS
stores the username and password in plain-text in a file on local disk,
which is very horrible.

Perhaps this is a Mac-only problem, i.e. the Mac printing client should
perhaps be able to prompt for username and password when printing, but
doesn't?  I'd be curious to see how a CUPS client behaved when set up in
the same way from, say, a linux or bsd box.

Cheers
Toby