CUPS client setup

matousek at cs.sfu.ca matousek at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Sep 13 13:05:31 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have an independent network cut off from the Internet with a main
server (seasons) IP 172.16.1.1 Fedora3 installed. I have about
20 computers on the 172.16.1.0 network with Fedora3 installed. CUPS
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.8 is installed from the Fedora 3 distro on server
and all clients. Only seasons is starting cupsd by default.

On the 172.16.1.0 network I have a JetDirect printer cmpt-471 with
IP 172.16.1.248 (9100 port). I am running CUPS server on seasons and
I have configured the cmpt-471 printer and I can print locally from
seasons with no problem.

I tried to setup CUPS client on one on the 20 machines and I have
included

ServerName seasons  or
ServerName 172.16.1.1

in the /etc/cups/client.conf

I cannot add printer on the client (lpadmin). The only way how I can
print from one of the 20 machines is to start CUPS server and configure
the printer on each of the machine.

Can you suggest what configuration needs to be done to have client CUPS
printing through the server?