[cups.general] OS X question

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Sep 13 15:40:15 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:23:33PM -0400, Matt Broughton wrote:
> > Why were the options only available on the Mac and not on the clients
> > via CUPS?
> >
> There are others who can answer you more authoritatively than I can.
> However, I suspect that you originally were using the Epson supplied
> drivers in the beginning.  Epson drivers (as well as HP drivers) do not
> really use CUPS in OS X.  They are more self contained software like
> they were in OS 9 and before.

Very interesting.  So it's some kind of hybrid system.  I noticed in
the CUPS interface on the Mac I cannot do typical admin tasks but must
use the Mac printer interface.  Maybe the Mac printer interface updates
the CUPS setup when changes are made to printers managed by cups.

I think I'll stick with Gutenprint as it seems to work well all
around.

Thanks for the response.

--
Bill Moseley