Test Page prints, but no apps can print...

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Sep 13 21:59:14 PDT 2005

Update - Success!

Let me know if you would like the details, but I was able to get things working by changing the printer/driver defined in the CUPS configuration for "Windows Printer via SAMBA"  device from "RAW" to an Apple Laserjet II.

To make a long story short, I have an HP Laserjet 3100 multi-function device that can only print via proprietary Windows drivers (the drivers are not even developed by HP), so the printer does not support IP printing or anything else except the proprietary Windows driver. So. my only option is to use Ghostscript and RedMon (port redirection). Ghostscript deals with Postscript (among other formats), so I setup a printer share on the WinXP PC using a postscript printer (I chose a LaserWriter) and print to that share from the Mac. The RedMon port that is "attached" to the the LaserWriter share redirects the print job to the "real" LaserJet 3100 printer defined on the WinXP machine.

Anyway, I guess 18 hours of trying to figure this out on my own was 1 hour too little.

Thanks,

Mike