Allow printer management (start/stop) and only that.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Sep 14 08:56:26 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> CUPS is running on HP-UX 11.11 and I am accessing the CUPS-GUI through the webbrowser of my client. So accessing the GUI is not a problem. It's more about limiting the administrive access to the different functions of CUPS.
> For example I to not want the operating staff to be able to modify or delete printers, but they should be able to restart a stopped printer.
>
> I know, I can allow/deny quite a lot by changing the cupsd.conf, but still it seems to me that I can only allow or deny administrive tasks in general and not specific tasks as mentioned above.
>
> Any other suggestions? Thanks...
>
> > try for webbrowser localhost:631 or kjobviewer.... sorry maybe i'm late :D

Try the following (which has been posted several times already in the past):

There is no official way to do this in the current release; CUPS
1.2 provides per-operation and per-queue admin policies which is
probably what you need in the long term.

Some users have been using:

     <Location /admin?op=foo>
     Require user root
     etc.
     </Location>

to override specific admin operations (the same works for printers
and jobs, BTW) from the web interface.  "foo" for the admin interface
is one of:

     start-printer
     stop-printer
     accept-jobs
     reject-jobs
     purge-jobs
     add-class
     add-printer
     modify-class
     modify-printer
     delete-class
     delete-printer
     config-printer

(this originally posted by Michael Sweet).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung