[cups.general] LaserJet 5 print quality

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Sep 15 14:47:40 PDT 2005

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> GIMP-Print 4.2.7 LaserJet 5 Series: fast, but the graphics are not good.
> I've tried both the Adaptive Hybrid and Floyd-Steinberg dithering
> algorithms with little success.

Try Gutenprint 5.0.0rcSomething from http://gimp-print.sf.net/  Perhaps
it gives you a better quality than the old Gimp-Print 4.2.7.

> Foomatic LaserJet5/lj4dith: tolerable quality, seemingly reasonable
> speed but it will inform the printer that I want A4 paper for every job.

"lj4dith" is buggy, use "ljet4" instead and if you have at least
GhostScript 8.x, activate "well-tempered screening". If you have no
option for that, get the newest PPD file from linuxprinting.org

> Foomatic LaserJet5/lj5gray: lousy quality, tolerable speed

Try also here "well-tempered screening".

    Till