[cups.general] LaserJet 5 print quality

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Sep 15 15:43:52 PDT 2005

Alex Zepeda wrote:
> Will do.  Have significant improvements been made to gimp-print in the 5.x
> versions?

At least for Epson inkjets. I do not know of the overwhelming amount of
new adjustable options allows to tune the PCL lasers to give a
significantly better quality. If you find appropriate settings please
post them here.

> lj4dith is indeed buggy.  ljet4 worked okay much better than most of the
> others.  It's not quite as good as the CUPS driver, even when I select
> 'accurate' halftoning.  So far this seems the best compromise.

Have you already compared "accurate" and "well-tempered"? Which one
gives the better results? Try also to tune the "gamma" option of CUPS
(see http://localhost:631/sum.html or http://www.cups.org/sum.html) if
one of the two gives you too light or too dark images. Post your results
here.

    Till